Pediatric Palliative Care
Quality of Life & Advanced Care (QoLA Care)
The Quality of Life & Advanced Care service is available by consultation for children and their families affected by serious health conditions which may impair their quality of life.
Our goal is to optimize quality of life of our patients and their families now and in the future. Our approach is tailored to the needs of the patient but may include:
- Promotion and facilitation of factors which add to quality of life.
- Anticipation, early recognition, and treatment of factors which detract from quality of life, including physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual suffering.
- Aid for families in identifying family-centered, value-driven goals of care, including advance care plans, when required.
- Support for families in decision-making, planning, and comfort care at end-of-life, including facilitating family wishes for location of death (home, hospital, hospice), legacy creation, anticipatory grief support, and after-death arrangements.
- Acute grief and bereavement support for families following the loss of the patient.
Common reasons for referral include:
- Life-threatening illness for which curative treatment may be feasible but can fail (e.g. cancer, irreversible organ failure)
- Conditions where premature death is inevitable, but long periods of intentive treatment prolong and allow participation in normal activities (e.g. cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy)
- Progressive conditions without curative treatment options where treatment is exclusively palliative and may extend over many years (e.g. neurodegenerative, metabolic diseases)
- Irreversible but non-progressive conditions with severe disability susceptible to health complications and premature death (e.g. anoxic brain injury, severe cerebral palsy)
- Conditions that do not fit within these categories, but where the patient is experiencing suffering requiring specialized pain and symptom management.
Consultations must come from a physician or nurse practitioner. Patients are seen in both inpatient and outpatient domains.
Phone: Ask for QoLA Care through HHS switchboard.
Fax: 905 521 1703