Hospital Payment Policy
The services provided by the Prosthetic and Orthotic department at the Ron Joyce Children's Health Centre are not funded in any way through the hospital or through OHIP. The hospitals policy is that full payment is required for services provided at the time the prosthesis or orthosis is dispensed to you.
To assist you, the department accepts, Visa, Mastercard, American express, Debit cards, personal cheques and cash. In (most) ceratin cases you will be asked to leave a deposit at the time of the assessment before any work will be started.
Certain devices may qualify for funding through the Assistive Devices Program (ADP). Your clinician will be able to inform you if the device you are being assessed for falls within this funding category.
For more information about ADP funding for orthotic devices and frequently asked questions, or to download the application form, visit the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Central Forms Repository.
You physician will need to sign the form and provide a diagnosis to access ADP funding. Bringing your signed copy of the ADP form to your first appointment speeds up the process of scheduling your orthotic fitting appointment. Our staff will help complete and submit the application to the Ministry of Health on your behalf. If you have any questions, please contact our office during regular business hours at 905-521-2607.
Custom Foot Orthotics
If you have work place benefits, contact your insurance carrier to clarify your coverage. You may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement from your insurance carrier.
Along with your payment receipts, we will provide you with all the information required for a claim submission to your carrier or for including in your next income tax filing. In many cases your insurance carrier will want to see a current valid prescription from a physician when submitting your claim regardless of previous funding for foot orthoses.
If you are on provincial social assistance (ODSP/ACSD,OW), funding assistance may be available through your regional social services department. Funding must be in place before your orthotics are made.
The Assistive Devices Program is a program through the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care. This program will pay 75% of qualified orthotic devices. The remaining balance of 25% is the patient/parent responsibility. If you have work place benefits you may have coverage for these devices. Please contact your insurance carrier to clarify your coverage for custom bracing.
If you are on provincial social assistance (ODSP/ACSD,OW), the Assistive Devices program will fund your devices 100%.
The Assistive Device program will assist with 75% or stated maximum of approved components and procedures. The Assistive Devices program does not provide funding for several items needed to wear your prosthesis. Any amount not covered by ADP is the patients responsibility.
If you have work place benefits we recommend submitting the prosthestic estimate for predetermination to ensure coverage and the amount of coverage. This predetermination can ensure your reimbursement, once you have submitted to the insurance company.
If you are on provincial social assistance the Assistive Device Program offers an increased amount of funding assistance. Your regional social services may assist you with the remaining client cost. Please contact the departmental Financial Assistant regarding this.
Other available assistance
Prosthestic and Orthotic
Community service clubs: Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary
Lodges: Masonic, Elks and Royal Purple, IOOF, and Moose Lodge. Many of these lodges will assist people who live in their community.
Many churches have benevolent funds for parishioners and families.
You will need to write a letter requesting assistance to your chosen agency, we will provide you with an estimate to include with your request.
Veterans may get assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
-you will need to have a "K" number to access this funding
-contact local DVA for information regarding "K" number
War Amps is a non-profit organization that will provide funding assistance every three years. Please see their web page War Amps Canada for more information. If you would like to access War Amps please notify your prosthetic clinician.
Please check your area for an amputee association. They may be able to assist with a small amount of funding or have information regarding area clubs willing to assist with funding.
Several patients have organized fundraisers to help raise funds for their prosthesis ie.. Garage sales, car washes, spaghetti suppers, etc.
If you have any questions regarding funding of any devices our department dispenses please contact our departmental Financial Assistant at 905-521-2607.