ABC will achieve:
· Better organized services for adults - By establishing centres of excellence, HHS can leverage the strength of its talented teams by locating them together as much as possible so patients have easy access to the expertise they require.
· More care for kids - McMaster Children's Hospital (MCH) is the second busiest children's hospital in the province. In order to meet the needs of children in our region, MCH has been equipped with a new child and adolescent mental health inpatient unit and additional ambulatory care services. In addition, a children's-only Emergency Department specifically designed for children is being built at McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC). This service is long overdue. Hamilton is one of the last cities of its size in Canada to have a dedicated children's Emergency Department.
· Improved access - With the establishment of a new Urgent Care Centre, HHS will increase the number of locations for urgent and emergency care - patients will have six options instead of five. With this addition, and by dedicating the ED at MUMC to children, HHS will be able to care for more patients more quickly because services will be better organized and coordinated.
· Renewed and modern ambulatory care facilities - As a result of changes in medical practice and advances in technology, many patients who come to the hospital for care do not need to stay overnight. One of the major goals of 'Access to the Best Care' is to support this trend by enhancing ambulatory, or outpatient care. In the new configuration of HHS services, MUMC will be home to an expanded same-day surgery program as well as other adult services (link to 'dynamic future list) including: women's health, high-risk obstetrics, ambulatory medicine and surgery clinics, and outpatient digestive diseases (with an expanded endoscopy suite.) These changes will also enable the transfer of some of the MUMC inpatient beds to our other sites to give MUMC the space it needs to expand in this new direction.
· Enhanced environments for teaching and learning - Investing in teaching and research continues to be a priority for the future. ABC recognizes this and, by combining new and innovative facilities with properly aligned clinical activities, we will provide the right environment for students to learn and researchers to achieve.