Our Caring Tradition

Today, Hamilton Health Sciences is a family of seven unique hospitals, an urgent care centre and a regional cancer centre, serving residents of Hamilton and Central South and Central West Ontario. The following is a brief timeline of Hamilton Health Sciences' long and distinguished health care history.

A Family of Hospitals

1996 -- Hamilton General, Henderson General, McMaster University Medical Centre, McMaster Children's Hospital and Chedoke Hospital merged to form Hamilton Health Sciences; this union formed one of the largest teaching hospitals in Ontario, operating across four sites with approximately 8,000 employees and 1,000 physicians
2003 - Juravinski Cancer Centre joins Hamilton Health Sciences
2008 - St. Peter's Hospital joins Hamilton Health Sciences
2010 - Henderson General Hospital is renamed Juravinski Hospital 

Hamilton General Hospital

1848 -- Hamilton General Hospital opened in a little house on the corner of Guise and John streets
1853 -- The hospital relocated to an old hotel with a 70-bed capacity overlooking Burlington Bay
1882 -- The General moved to its current site at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Barton Street where it continues to expand and grow to meet the needs of patients
2010  -- The General is the region's sole provider of specialized cardiovascular and neurosciences care as well as the trauma centre for Central South Ontario

Chedoke

1906 - Chedoke Hospital, located on Hamilton's west mountain, opened as a tuberculosis sanatorium
1960 -- When tuberculosis treatment changed and patients no longer required years of bed rest, Chedoke became a general hospital
2008 -- Chedoke is no longer an acute care hospital, however, it continues to provide complex continuing care and child and family services to residents of Hamilton and the region

Juravinski Hospital

1917 -- Mount Hamilton Hospital opened on Concession Street to help care for veterans from the First World War
1954 - Nora Frances Henderson Hospital opened as a 322-bed maternity hospital on the same site
2010 -- Henderson General Hospital is redeveloped and named Juravinski Hospital. It is a centre for excellence in orthopedics, oncology and outpatient surgery

McMaster University Medical Centre

1972 -- McMaster University Medical Centre opened and McMaster University's medical school and its innovative curriculum were created
2010 -- MUMC specializes in caring for the region's high-risk women's health and gastroenterology patients, and is home to McMaster Children's Hospital, one of the country's finest and most highly-regarded pediatric hospitals

McMaster Children's Hospital

1988 - The concentration of specialized pediatric services at MUMC was recognized with the designation of the Children's Hospital
2002 - The Children's Hospital was renamed McMaster Children's Hospital

Juravinski Cancer Centre

1984 - The cancer clinic, located at the Henderson General Hospital, became known as the Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre
1992 - The Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre opened in its new building, located beside the Henderson General Hospital
2003 - The Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre was renamed the Juravinski Cancer Centre

St. Peter's Hospital

1890 - St. Peter's Hospital opens
2008 - St. Peter's Hospital joins Hamilton Health Sciences and continues to provide inpatient, outpatient, and community-based programs and services for seniors.

West Lincoln Memorial Hospital

2014 - West Lincoln Memorial Hospital officially joins Hamilton Health Sciences.